In 1907, a small group of South-Siders met to form a club for the production of amateur musicals and the support of local charities. Thus the St. Mungo Opera Club was born - a name most suited to a Glasgow club. Its first venture, The Mandarin, was performed in March 1908 in the St. Mungo Halls, Gorbals (now sadly gone), and was followed the next year by The Mikado. Such was the success of these productions, the club was invited to stage its next show in the Royal Princess's Theatre (now The Citizen's Theatre), and in 1910 the club "trod boards" properly for the first time. The Princess's was to be home to the club for the next 18 years.